At The Science Writer, LLC our goal is to help you to express your research in the most clear and compelling way possible – for grant proposals, manuscripts, or other works.
We are passionate about helping you to clearly present technical topics to a lay or young audience. Our experience is deep and broad, across many disciplines and types of documents.
Dana Desonie, writer & editor
- Nearly three decades of professional experience writing and editing, especially but not exclusively, in earth and environmental science.
- Has written books, book chapters, articles, radio scripts, encyclopedia entries, web content.
- Has edited tens of proposals as a contractor and as an employee at Arizona State University, including to federal funders (NSF, NIH, EPA, DOD, DOE) and foundations (MacArthur, Virginia G. Piper, Arizona Community Foundation, etc.).
- Completed courses: Medical Research, Science, and Environment Writing, Columbia Graduate School of Journalism; News Writing, Columbia University.
- Postdoctoral research: Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, 1992-1994;
Oregon State University, Corvallis, 1990-1992
- PhD in oceanography from Oregon State University; MS & BA in geology from University of Oregon and California State University, Fresno, respectively.
- Member: National Association of Science Writers, Association of Earth Science Editors
Kathleen Holladay, president
- Over 20 years of experience in grant writing and editing; includes proposals to the NSF, NIH, NEH, SAMSHA, as well as to various private foundations.
- Areas of study include, but not limited to, social science, public opinion, health and health services research.
- Worked as principal investigator or as project manager, developed proficiency in all aspects of research including: locating funding opportunities, study design/methodology, grant writing, IRB approval, project management, analysis, evaluation and reporting.
- Served as Assistant Director for two university research institutes; edited grant proposals, developed communications materials, including the preparation and oversight of web content, project reports, papers, correspondence and evaluation reports.
- Supervised multi-site, multi-disciplinary research projects that required complex coordination along with sensitivity towards the needs of all the parties involved.
- Completed doctoral coursework in Sociology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Master of Social Work, Arizona State University, B.S. with Honors, Double Major Sociology and Diversified Social Sciences, University of Wyoming.